Saturday, February 12, 2011

Key to Lab external important questions


1.    1.   Write a brief note on  ‘GREETINGS’  
  
There are many ways of greeting people, both formal and informal. The speaker’s task is to choose the appropriate one for the situation. It is also useful to know lots of different ones so as to not repeat  when  meeting a number of people at the same time. As with any other aspect, one need to be careful about using informal expressions with people who he does not know well or whose rank or status is higher than his.

General greetings (Formal)
  1. Hello!
  2. How are you?
  3. How are you doing?
  4. How is everything?
  5. How’s everything going?
  6. How have you been keeping?
  7. I trust that everything is well.
General greetings (Informal)
  1. Hi.
  2. What’s up?
  3. Good to see you.
  4. How are things (with you)?
  5. How’s it going?
  6. How’s life been treating you?
Greeting a person you haven’t seen for a long time (Formal)
  1. It has been a long time.
  2. It’s been too long.
  3. What have you been up to all these years?
  4. It’s always a pleasure to see you.
  5. How long has it been?
  6. I’m so happy to see you again.
Greeting a person you haven’t seen for a long time (Informal)
·         How come I never see you?
·         It’s been such a long time.
·         Long time no see.
·         Where have you been hiding?
·         It’s been ages since we last met.


2. 1.      Describe Speech Organs 

Speech organs produce many sounds needed for language. Organs used include the lips, teeth, tongue, alveolar ridge, hard palate, velum (soft palate), uvula and glottis.
Speech organs - otherwise articulators - are divided into two: passive articulators and active articulators. Passive articulators are those which remain static during the articulation of sound. Upper lips, teeth, alveolar ridge, hard palate, soft palate, uvula, and pharynx wall are the passive articulators. Active articulators move towards these passive articulators to produce various speech sounds, in different manner. The most important active articulator is tongue. The lower lip and the glottis are other active articulators.
In Phonetics & Phonology it's important to know the Vocal Organs places; to be able to pronounce correctly...
The Vocal organs of speech are:

1 Upper Lip                                       
2 Teeth
3 Alveolar Ridge
4 Hard Palate
5 Soft Palate
6 Uvula
7 Pharynx
8 Lower Lip
9 Tip
10 Blade
11 Front
12 Center
13 Back
14 Root   


3.      Expressions used for Agreeing and Disagreeing OPINIONS  

Offering an opinion can be difficult when it is not in our first language. We may know exactly what we want to say in our native tongue, but are unsure of how to express our views in English. We may also worry that our words will not come out properly or that we might hurt someone's feelings by being too forward. Although it is easier to sit back and say nothing at all, we will become bored or frustrated if all we can do is nod our head yes or shake our head no, especially if we have a strong opinion about something.
The best thing to do is to learn and practise some common expressions that are used in discussions and debates. For example, there is a difference between agreeing strongly or only slightly. Study the common expressions and practice saying them.

Stating an opinion
  • In my opinion...
  • The way I see it...
  • If you want my honest opinion....
  • According to Lisa...
  • As far as I'm concerned...
  • If you ask me...
Asking for an opinon
  • What's your idea?
  • What are your thoughts on all of this?
  • How do you feel about that?
  • Do you have anything to say about this?
  • What do you think?
  • Do you agree?
  • Wouldn't you say?
Expressing agreement
  • I agree with you 100 percent.
  • I couldn't agree with you more.
  • That's so true.
  • That's for sure.
  • (slang) Tell me about it!
  • You're absolutely right.
  • Absolutely.
  • That's exactly how I feel.
  • Exactly.
  • I'm afraid I agree with James.
  • I have to side with Dad on this one.
  • No doubt about it.
  • (agree with negative statement) Me neither.
  • (weak) I suppose so./I guess so.
  • You have a point there.
  • I was just going to say that.
Expressing disagreement
  • I don't think so.
  • (strong) No way.
  • I'm afraid I disagree.
  • (strong) I totally disagree.
  • I beg to differ.
  • (strong) I'd say the exact opposite.
  • Not necessarily.
  • That's not always true.
  • That's not always the case.
  • No, I'm not so sure about that.
Interruptions
  • Can I add something here?
  • Is it okay if I jump in for a second?
  • If I might add something...
  • Can I throw my two cents in?
  • Sorry to interrupt, but...
  • (after accidentally interrupting someone) Sorry, go ahead. OR Sorry, you were saying...
  • (after being interrupted) You didn't let me finish.
Settling an argument
  • Let's just move on, shall we?
  • Let's drop it.
  • I think we're going to have to agree to disagree.
  • (sarcastic) Whatever you say./If you say so.
 4. 1.      Define  CONSONANTS

Consonant is a speech sound that's not a vowel; a letter of the alphabet that represents a speech sound produced by a partial or complete obstruction of the air stream by a constriction of the speech organs. There are 21 consonant letters in the written alphabet (B, C, D, F, G, H, J, K, L, M, N, P, Q, R, S, T, V, W, X, Y, Z), and there are 24 consonant sounds in most English accents. . . . Because of the erratic history of English spelling, there is no neat one-to-one correlation between letters and sounds.

  • /p/: pit
  • /b/: bit
  • /t/: tin
  • /d/: din
  • /k/: cut
  • /g/: gut
  • / /: cheap
  • / /: jeep
  • /m/: map
  • /n/: nap
  • / /: bang
  • /f/: fat
  • /v/: vat
  • / /: thin
  • / /: then
  • /s/: sap
  • /z/: zap
  • / /: she
  • / /: measure
  • /x/: loch, Chanukah (often replaced by /h-/ and /-k/)
  • /h/: ham
  • / /: whine (also written /hw/), (only when distinguishing whine/wine, which/witch; otherwise replaced by /w/)
  • /w/: we
  • / /: run (often written /r/ in broad transcription)
  • /j/: yes
  • /l/: left
  • /p/: pit
  • /b/: bit
  • /t/: tin
  • /d/: din
  • /k/: cut
  • /g/: gut
  • / /: cheap
  • / /: jeep
  • /m/: map
  • /n/: nap
  • / /: bang
  • /f/: fat
  • /v/: vat
  • / /: thin
  • / /: then
  • /s/: sap
  • /z/: zap
  • / /: she
  • / /: measure
  • /x/: lochChanukah (often replaced by /h-/ and /-k/)
  • /h/: ham
  • / /: whine (also written /hw/), (only when distinguishing whine/winewhich/witch; otherwise replaced by /w/)
  • /w/: we
  • / /: run (often written /r/ in broad transcription)
  • /j/: yes
  • /l/: left
 5.       Expressions used for seeking and granting PERMISSIONS

Conversation skills - SEEKING, GRANTING AND REFUSING PERMISSION


In our life situations who do we seek permission from? What for?


Informal

Arthi : Sheela, I lost my calculator. Mind if I use yours?
Sheela : No, not at all. You can have it.
Arthi : OK if I have this until this evening?
Sheela : Oh, sure.

Formal
Raghu, the secretary of the English club meets the Principal.
Raghu : Good morning, Sir.
Principal : Good morning. Have you got the confirmation from the speaker for the inauguration?
Raghu : Yes, sir. Professor Mathew from St. Joseph’s College
has given his consent. He’ll reach Madurai by 1 pm
tomorrow. Would it be possible to send the car to
pick him up, Sir?
Principal : I’m afraid it is not possible. You better hire a taxi.
We’ll pay the fare.


FOCUS ON COMMUNCIATION
Expressions for seeking, granting and refusing permission in various situations are given below:

Formal Situations
Seeking permission : Might I have your permission to ……
With your permission I should like to…
Would it be all right if I …………
Granting permission: Permission is granted ……….
We are pleased to permit …..
Refusing permission : I’m afraid we couldn’t allow.
I’m afraid we don’t have the authority.

Informal Situations
Seeking permission : Any chance of borrowing …….
Mind if I borrow ……..
All right if I use …………..
Granting permission : It’s OK / fine / all right
Go ahead.
Of course, you can.
Refusing permission : I’d like to, but I can’t ….
I can’t possibly.
Sorry that’s not on.
No way, I’m afraid.

Neutral Situations
Seeking permission : Would it be possible ………..?
I wonder if you could ………
Do you mind if ……….. ?
Granting permission: By all means do ……..
Please don’t hesitate.
Yes, certainly, you can.
Refusing permission : I don’t really think you can.
I’m afraid that’s not possible.
I’m sorry I’m not supposed to allow…..

ORAL PRACTICE - Conversation in shop
1. Shopkeeper : May I help you, Sir?
Ravi : I’m looking for a pair of black cotton
trousers.
Shopkeeper : Here’s one, Sir.
Ravi : Do you mind if I try this on me?
Shopkeeper : No, not at all.
Ravi : Thank you (after trying). It’s quite all right
for me. I’ll take this

Conversation in school.

Teacher : Sir, class XII students want to go for a picnic
to Malampuzha. Would it be all right if I take
them this week end?
Headmaster : How about their revision test?
Are they through with it?
Teacher : Yes sir, they are.
Headmaster : In that case, I think you can go ahead.
Teacher : May I take the Zoology teacher with us?
Headmaster : I’m afraid we couldn’t allow. For twenty
students only one teacher can accompany.
Teacher : It’s all right, Sir. I’ll manage.

No comments:

Post a Comment